Sunday, February 17, 2013

Unemployable

I won't be quoting more facts except in tangents.  This post will rely centrally on my personal experience with the job hunt.

I'll start by giving the old elementary style of working backward through the situation: the answer to these questions is reserve military status states a consistent interruption each month.  If you're working a regular 9-5, then you'll find a regular once-a-month interruption to your days off.

This is a primary thing for which employers hate you.

Secondly, there is the fact that I can use 5-point veterans preference for federal employments opportunity.  What this tells employers is that you've seen something that is completely incompatible with the the job world.

Third, my specific military experience is completely non-transferable to capitalist enterprise.  Even my most convincing résumé would be shot down by the fact that I'm a man, first and foremost.  Men are just not a priority in entry level positions with possible upward mobility.  And I know this isn't the most popular opinion to take, but after a year of job hunting: I can confidently say that I will never post my ethnicity, from now on, unless it is required.  "Equal Opportunity Employers" should be THE place you omit as much personal information as possible.

And then there's the experience issue.  I don't have experience literally doing that job I'm applying for...  BECAUSE I'M APPLYING FOR IT FOR THE FIRST TIME.  Crazy, I know.  I have never applied for a former job.  If I liked the job, I would still be doing it.  The requirement begs to be lied to.

In fact, at a job fair I went to recently, a man at one of the booths held my attention long enough to tell me that I need to start lying about my credentials, my job history, my education, my references, my current job.  Just everything.  He said that the only way out of this abysmal economy is to fight for yourself, and fight smart; tell people what they want to hear and what will get you your objectives.

Now, I still have heavily principles positions that deal with honor, integrity, selfless service, loyalty, duty, respect, and personal courage.  It's the Army's LDRSHIP model.  I don't want to compromise any of that.  But, the fact that someone twice my age, singled me out, and went to great lengths to offer me specific details and perspective on how to start a life, tells me that something is different about our current events than what could be done 20-40 years ago.  My family members have held jobs for 30+ years.  I have no direct relationships with people who can A) relate to my situation, or B) help me in the same way they were helped when they needed the job that defined their career for the rest of their life.

It's a rant, and I can't say that this is getting better for myself and those in my position.  in 2012, I was briefed once that the suicide rate in the Virginia National Guard (all guard components) tied with Kentucky for the most suicides by service members.  And this is an obvious result of an unemployable group of people.

In other words, if you know or love anyone who is in this unemployable category.  Give them what support you can.  If you know a way to pass on their name to employers or people you know who may help them, think of it this way: every little bit helps.  When there is a despondent soldier incapable for getting a job, I ask that you at least think about putting something positive in his/her life.  Give a phone number, give a name, or a lead, or a company name.  Something to help them go forward.  Forward motion is essential for the type of success needed to lift them up.

Hopefully this post has some use to those skimming through.  I'm regurgitating a lot of news lately on all the related topics.

Leave any comments about this kind of style and any other thoughts you might have about this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment